Original Safety Standard: NAV9000
Safe Ship Operations - A Top Priority Social Responsibility
Reflecting the Group's belief that safety underpins trust and that trust underpins business, the Group devotes time and effort unstintingly to ensuring the safety of its vessel operations.
- ＊Global Maritime Quality Assurance Team is in Marine Division of NYK Headquarter
Since 1998, the Group has been conducting safety promotion activities based on NAV9000. NAV9000 is an original safety standard of NYK.
We introduced NAV9000, a rigorous self-imposed safe ship management system, in order to better discharge our responsibilities to achieve safety and protect the environment.
The standard covers approximately 1,500 items - including international regulations, industry standards, and industry good practices and measures- to prevent accidents from recurring and to ensure that customers' requirements are met. The standards have been applied to all of the approximately 750 vessels in operation. Assessments based on these standards are conducted on approximately 250 vessels and at about 30 shipowners and shipmanagement companies per year.
NAV9000 safety promotion activities have been accredited on ISO9001 by Class NK.
- *1From April 2020, ship audits were postponed due to COVID-19.
From 1 August 2020, ship audits (i.e., the NAV9000 e-Audit) were restarted remotely.
- *2From 2020, the calendar year (CY) is used instead of the company’s fiscal year (FY). Thus, January-March 2020 data contained in FY2019 is also included in CY2020.
Dialogue is the Essence of NAV9000
NAV9000 assessments are used to evaluate the current safety practices of seafarers and shipmanagement companies, i.e., our partners. We emphasize face-to-face dialogue so that we can think together with our partners to foster a safety culture. “Together with our partners” is a key phrase in these assessments. And a high-quality safety management organization has resulted from strong partnerships with everyone involved and through on-site confirmation conducted by Indian, Filipino, and Japanese assessors.*
- ＊Assessors are as Master/Chief Engineer in NYK Group who have completed an external body's ISO9001 auditor training course.
- More Information:
- NYK Holds Annual Roundtable Discussion on Safe Vessel Operations with President, Captains, Chief Engineers, and Seafarers
- NYK's President, Captains, and Chief Engineers Participate in Online Exchange of Opinions on Safe Operations
- NYK's President, Captains, and Chief Engineers Exchange Opinions on Safe Operations
- NYK Holds Fleet Safety Management Meeting for Shipowners and Ship-management Companies