NYK Group Environmental Vision, Policy and Organization
NYK Group Environmental Vision
In March 2023, we established The NYK Group's Environmental Vision to further strengthen our environmental management activities. To fulfill its objective of supporting a sustainable society, NYK is implementing three environmental issues that require particular attention specifically aimed at realizing "a green and beautiful earth" and passing on "a peaceful society to future generations."
Environmental issues that require particular attention
Response to Climate Change
NYK Group will work decisively towards the achievement of net-zero emissions by 2050 through the social implementation of new technologies and fuels brought by co-creation with diverse stakeholders and put forward the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions including Scope 3throughout the entire value chain with whole group companies and employee.
Marine Environment and Biodiversity Conservation
NYK Group will work to prevent marine pollution through the thorough enforcement of safety ship operation, reduce the environmentally hazardous substances emitted from ships through proactive implementation of new technologies, reduce underwater noise and ship fouling. In addition, NYK Group will co-create and implement effective measures with diverse stakeholders through the analysis of the distribution and impact of marine plastics, as well as ecological understanding using environmental DNA sampling.
Prevention of Air Pollution
NYK group will promote the reduction of atmospheric pollutants emitted from ships, aircraft, vehicles, and other sources, then further practice businesses that are friendly to the Earth's environment and human health.
Under this vision, based on the NYK Group's environmental policy and the concise environmental management plan based on our policy, we operate various environmental activities at specific sites.
Scope of NYK Group Environmental Management System
- 1Worldwide transportation of goods by sea on a fleet of owned and chartered ships, feeder vessels, and Japan coastal trading vessels; on land by rail and truck; and through the use of warehouse operations
- 2Cruise ship business
- 3Container terminal business
- 4Ship-management business
- 5Offshore business
- 6Airfreight business
- 7Ocean & air forwarding and contract logistics business
- 8Tugboat service
- 9IT business
- 10Maritime museum operation
- 11Recycle center operation
- 12Research & development business
NYK Group Environmental Policy
- 1We will strive to conserve the oceans, the global environment, biodiversity, water resources, forests, and other natural resources by considering the impact of our business activities on the environment, setting necessary objectives and targets, and periodically reviewing them and continuously improving our measures, based on the clear commitment of top management following the resolution at the board of directors.
- 2In addition to complying with laws and regulations related to safety and the environment, we will strive to improve our environmental performance through the establishment and operation of our unique Environmental Management System, based on dialogue with diverse stakeholders both inside and outside the group.
- 3We will strive to ensure the safety of all modes of transportation, including inland and inland waters and air transportation, as well as services that spread across the sea, land, and air, such as terminals and warehouses and other places, including the safety of the operating fleet.
- 4We will strive to collaborate with diverse stakeholders throughout our value chain, and work towards resource conservation, energy conservation, waste reduction, recycling, greenhouse gas reduction, reduction of the environmentally hazardous substances discharge, water resource management, and forest conservation, and address all environmental challenges, such as climate change countermeasures, marine environment and biodiversity conservation, and prevention of air pollution.
- 5We will strive to minimize the environmental impact resulting from the procurement, operation, and disposal of transportation equipment such as ships, aircraft, vehicles, and other sources, and decisively implement new technologies and fuels into society through co-creation with diverse stakeholders.
- 6We will practice a circular economy by promoting responsible, transparent ship dismantling with consideration given to safety, the environment, human rights, and other factors.
- 7We will provide appropriate and sufficient education and training to internal and external parties and ensure a "Just Transition" when adopting new technologies to address environmental issues.
- 8Through internal public relations activities and environmental seminars, we will tirelessly raise the environmental awareness of each employee and instill these environmental policies.
- 9We will promote co-creation with diverse stakeholders by maintaining close dialogue with society, proactively disclosing environmental information including environmental risks and opportunities throughout the entire value chain, proactively engaging in and communicating effective initiatives, and providing grants and support for environmental conservation activities. Through collaboration with diverse stakeholders, we will respond to environmental issues inside and outside the Group and strive to enhance corporate value.
President, Representative Director,
President and Chief Executive Officer
Constituted on 1st September, 2001
Amended on 1st April, 2009
Amended on 1st April, 2017
Amended on 31st March, 2023
Environmental Management Organizations
The NYK Group has a Safety and Environmental Management Committee (chairman: the president) that coordinates NYK's global efforts at NYK's Tokyo headquarters.
Environmental Management Organizations
Safety & Environmental Management Committee
Executive Chief of Environmental Management
Chief of Environmental Management
Regional meetings are held on a regular basis to enable officers to identify their regions' issues and goals and formulate programs for their achievement
Keeping the Entire NYK Group Focused on Environmental Management
In September 2006, we organized the annual NYK Group Environmental Management Conference, and a year later we formulated the NYK Group Environmental Management Guidelines, which were modified in 2022 to become the NYK Group Environmental Standard. This conference is held with the aim of strengthening the environmental management of the Group by sharing information on environmental activities within the Group, encouraging mutual communication, and promoting close cooperation between Group companies. The companies subject to the Standard participate in the conference.
At this most recent conference, Nippon Container Yuso Co., Ltd. and Kinkai Yusen Kaisha Ltd. were commended for their dynamic activities.
In addition, the conference participants were also captivated by a presentation by WWF Japan who spoke on the topic of "Biodiversity and the Role of Companies".
NYK makes every effort to manage environmental risks and contribute to a sustainable society to ensure an optimal balance between economic progress and environmental protection.
- More Information: