Vision and Organization
The NYK Group's Environmental Management Vision
In March 2005, we established the NYK environmental management vision to further strengthen our environmental management activities. To fulfill its objective of supporting a sustainable society, NYK is implementing three medium-term strategies specifically aimed at realizing "a green and beautiful earth" and passing on "a peaceful society to future generations."
Under this vision, based on the NYK Group's environmental policy and the concise environmental management plan based on our policy, we operate various environmental activities at specific sites.
Scope of NYK Group Environmental Management System
- 1Worldwide transportation of goods by sea on a fleet of owned and chartered ships, feeder vessels, and Japan coastal trading vessels; on land by rail and truck; and through the use of warehouse operations
- 2Cruise ship business
- 3Container terminal business
- 4Ship-management business
- 5Offshore business
- 6Airfreight business
- 7Ocean & air forwarding and contract logistics business
- 8Tugboat service
- 9IT business
- 10Maritime museum operation
- 11Recycle center operation
- 12Research & development business
The NYK Group's Environmental Green Policy
- 1We, the NYK Group, adopt responsible practices with due regard to the environmental impacts of our corporate activities. We set and continually review objectives and targets for achieving our goal to protect our entire global environment and biodiversity.
- 2We seek not only to comply with safety and environmental regulations but also to implement in-house standards to improve our environmental performance and prevent pollution.
- 3We commit ourselves to the safe operation of all our services via sea, land, and air, as well as operations at sea, terminals, and warehouses.
- 4We seek to reduce environmental loads by efficiently using resources, saving energy, reducing waste, encouraging material recycling, and particularly by minimizing emissions of greenhouse gases, ozone-depleting substances, and toxic matter.
- 5We endeavor to minimize environmental loads and adopt environmentally friendly technologies when ordering and purchasing necessary resources, such as vessels and aircraft, for transportation services and cargo operations.
- 6We endeavor to use education programs to raise environmental awareness among our employees and to ensure that they recognize the essence of this Green Policy by actively addressing environmental concerns.
- 7We make wide-ranging social contributions in close partnership with local communities by disclosing environmental information and supporting environmental conservation initiatives.
Constituted on 1st September, 2001
Amended on 1st April, 2009
Amended on 1st April, 2017
Environmental Management Organizations
The NYK Group has a Safety and Environmental Management Committee (chairman: the president) that coordinates NYK's global efforts at NYK's Tokyo headquarters.
Environmental Management Organizations
Safety & Environmental Management Committee
Executive Chief of Environmental Management
Chief of Environmental Management
Regional meetings are held on a regular basis to enable officers to identify their regions' issues and goals and formulate programs for their achievement
Keeping the Entire NYK Group Focused on Environmental Management
In September 2006, we organized the annual NYK Group Environmental Management Conference, and a year later we formulated the NYK Group Environmental Management Guidelines, which were modified in 2022 to become the NYK Group Environmental Standard. This conference is held with the aim of strengthening the environmental management of the Group by sharing information on environmental activities within the Group, encouraging mutual communication, and promoting close cooperation between Group companies. The companies subject to the Standard participate in the conference.
At this most recent conference, Nippon Container Yuso Co., Ltd. and Kinkai Yusen Kaisha Ltd. were commended for their dynamic activities.
In addition, the conference participants were also captivated by a presentation by WWF Japan who spoke on the topic of "Biodiversity and the Role of Companies".
NYK makes every effort to manage environmental risks and contribute to a sustainable society to ensure an optimal balance between economic progress and environmental protection.