CSR Guidelines for Partners and Suppliers
As a global logistics group, NYK aspires to fulfill its corporate social responsibility (CSR) for a sustainable society by remaining centered on practicing the group's corporate philosophy of "Bringing value to life."
In recent years, the CSR that companies are required to meet has been diversifying. With such global issues as forced labor, child labor, and acts of environmental degradation having emerged with the globalization of supply chains, individual companies and all associated entities in their supply chains must cooperate to address these issues. To conduct business that fulfills CSR throughout the supply chain, it is necessary for all parties to share a common understanding and work together with our partners and suppliers.
We would like to ask you, our partners and suppliers, for your understanding of the purpose and content of these guidelines and for your cooperation with promoting CSR activities. We would also like to ask you, our partners and suppliers, to act in a manner that is consistent with our guidelines and we ask that you check that your own partners and suppliers also act in a manner that is consistent with these guidelines.
I. Pursuit of Safety and Preservation of the Natural Environment
Pursuit of Safety*
- (1)Carry out safety activities continually that adhere to basic expectations of conduct and take appropriate measures for ensuring safety.
- (2)Be well prepared for all types of threats and emergencies, such as cyberterrorism and natural disasters, and endeavor to ensure thorough organizational crisis management.
Preservation of the Natural Environment*
Comply with applicable treaties, national laws, and regulations related to the environment in each country in a comprehensive effort to conserve the natural environment, prevent environmental pollution, and protect biological diversity. Work proactively to reduce and recycle waste; slash resource, energy and water consumption; and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- *With respect to ship operations, you are asked to comply with the designated requirements of NAV9000, which are the NYK Group's original safety standards that encourage safety and environmental actions.
II. Fair Business Activities
Compliance with Laws and Regulations of Countries
Comply with all laws and regulations, both domestically and overseas, and engage in business activities with integrity, fairness, and equity in accordance with social norms.
Compliance with Competition and Antitrust Laws
- (1)Comply with competition and antitrust laws of relevant countries, and do not engage in any acts that impede free and fair competition, such as private monopolization, unreasonable restraint of trade (such as cartels), and unfair trade practices.
- (2)In your dealings with suppliers, do not abuse your superior bargaining position.
Prohibition on Corruption, Bribery, etc.
Endeavor to prevent all types of corruption, including bribery.
Disclosure of Information and Ensuring Transparency
Disclose your information in a timely and appropriate manner in accordance with all laws and regulations, and endeavor to ensure transparency such as providing useful information for stakeholders.
Elimination of Antisocial Forces
- (1)Refuse any unreasonable claims resolutely from any antisocial forces or those who are suspected of being associated therewith, and do not have any relations with them.
- (2)Without exception, do not become involved in terrorism, money laundering, or any other forms of crime, and furthermore, be careful not to become associated with persons or entities involved in such criminal activity.
III. Respect for Human Rights and Diversity of Cultures
Respect for Human Rights and Prohibition of Discrimination
Respect human rights, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or regional origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, diseases, social status, or any other reason.
Prohibiting Inhumane Treatment
Prohibit any inhumane treatment so as not to engage in any acts that violate human dignity such as libel, slander, or harassment.
Respect for Cultures of Countries and Regions
Respect cultures and customs of countries and regions in which you conduct your business, and conduct your business operations in harmony with regional communities and international society.
Prohibiting Forced Labor or Child Labor
Do not engage in inhumane acts such as forced labor or child labor, and endeavor to ensure appropriate payment of wages. Also, do not conduct trade with business enterprises engaged in inhumane employment.
Respect for Fundamental Rights of Workers
Respect workers' rights, including collective bargaining rights and freedom of association, as prescribed in international treaties and in national and regional laws and regulations.
IV. Assuring a Safe and Healthy Work Environment
Comply with labor-related laws and endeavor to eliminate illegal extended working hours, and also support work patterns that create synergies among all areas that define work and life.
Assuring a Safe and Healthy Work Environment
Maintain a safe and healthy work environment, and make daily efforts for prevention of accidents and occupational injuries.
V. Treatment of Information
Respect of Intellectual Property
Do not infringe on intellectual property rights owned by other companies or persons, such as unauthorized copying or illegal use of computer software or programs.
Complete Observation of Information Management
- (1)Comply with all laws and regulations concerning information security, and implement strict information management.
- (2)Pay special attention to the handling of personal information, and establish appropriate organizational systems for preventing information leaks.
Please note that we may carry out surveys of your activities, interview you or monitor your activities, ask you for redress, and require you to improve your activities.
These guidelines will be revised as needed.
Established in April 2010
Amended in February 2017
Amended in January 2020