NYK has been ranked the top shipping company on business readiness for a low-carbon transition in the “A Sea Change” report published on June 25 by CDP, an international non-profit promoting environmental disclosure.
Highly evaluated environmental initiatives taken by NYK include the following:
- Achievement in reducing GHG emissions
- Commitment by board members to low-carbon transition
- Receipt of SBT initiative verification for the company’s GHG emissions reduction targets; scored the highest-rated ‘A’ for Climate Change in CDP Survey 2018
- Support of recommendations by the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) aiming to improve climate change–related disclosures
- Development of hardware innovation and optimization of software through digitalization
- Design of the new future concept ship NYK Super Eco Ship 2050, which incorporates innovative technologies that will result in an emission-free vessel
Shipping accounts for up to 3 percent of global emissions and 10 percent of transport emissions. Besides, it is an integral part of the global economy, transporting around 80 percent of the world’s trade in physical goods. In the report, CDP assessed and ranked shipping companies in three key areas — i.e., transition risks, transition opportunities, and climate governance and strategy — all of which are aligned with recommendations by the TCFD.
In accordance with its medium-term management plan “Staying Ahead 2022 with Digitalization and Green,” the company aims to contribute to the sustainable development of society and enrichment of the company’s corporate value through creative innovation.
- CDP’s website
- Related news releases
The news on this website is as of the date announced and may change without notice.