NYK is responsible for adding value to its customers' supply chains. In Feb. 2017, we revised our CSR guidelines for partners and suppliers to fulfill our responsibilities.
We make use of training programs at group companies inside and outside Japan to promote a better understanding of our CSR guidelines.
CSR Guidelines for Partners and Suppliers
As a global logistics group, NYK aspires to fulfill its corporate social responsibility (CSR) for a sustainable society by remaining centered on practicing the group's corporate philosophy of "Bringing value to life" in support of others.
In recent years, the CSR that companies are required to meet has been diversifying. With such global issues as forced labor, child labor, and acts of environmental degradation having emerged with the globalization of supply chains, individual companies and all associated entities in their supply chains must cooperate to address these issues. To conduct business that fulfills CSR throughout the supply chain, it is necessary for all parties to share a common understanding and work together with our partners and suppliers.
We would like to ask you, our partners and suppliers, for cooperation and understanding in promoting your CSR activities in reference to these guidelines.
- I. Pursuit of Safety and Preservation of the Natural Environment
Pursuit of Safety*
Please continually carry out safety activities that adhere to basics, and endeavor to improve technologies for ensuring safety.
Preservation of the Natural Environment*
Please comply with applicable treaties, national laws, and regulations related to the environment in each country in a comprehensive effort to conserve the natural environment, prevent environmental pollution, and protect biological diversity. Please work proactively to reduce and recycle waste, slash resource, energy and water consumption, and lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- II. Fair Business Activities
Compliance with Laws and Regulations of Countries
Please comply with all laws and regulations, both domestically and overseas, and engage in business activities with integrity, fairness, and equity in accordance with social norms.
Compliance with Competition and Antitrust Laws
- (1) Please comply with competition and antitrust laws, and do not engage in any acts that impede free and fair competition, such as private monopolization, unreasonable restraint of trade (e.g., cartels), and unfair trade practices.
- (2) In your dealings with suppliers, please do not abuse your superior bargaining position.
Prohibition on Corruption, Bribery, etc.
Please endeavor to prevent all types of corruption, including bribery.
Disclosure of Corporate Information and Ensuring Transparency
Please disclose your corporate information in a timely and appropriate manner in accordance with all laws and regulations, and proactively provide information apart from the required statutory disclosures.
Elimination of Antisocial Forces
- (1) Please resolutely refuse any unreasonable claims from any antisocial forces or those who are suspected of being associated therewith, and do not have any relations with them.
- (2) Without exception, please do not become involved in terrorism, money laundering, or any other forms of crime, and furthermore, be careful not to become associated with persons or entities involved in such criminal activity.
- III. Respect for Human Rights and Diversity of Cultures
Respect for Human Rights and Prohibition of Discrimination
Please respect human rights, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, gender, national or regional origin, age, mental or physical disabilities, diseases, social status, or any other reason.
Please do not engage in libelous or slanderous acts that violate human dignity, or carry out abusive acts that may be regarded as harassment.
Respect for Cultures of Countries and Regions
Please respect cultures and custom of countries and regions in which you conduct your business, and conduct your business operations in harmony with regional communities and international society.
Prohibiting Forced Labor or Child Labor
Please do not engage in inhumane acts such as forced labor or child labor, and endeavor to ensure appropriate payment of wages. Also, do not conduct trade with business enterprises engaged in inhumane employment.
Respect for Fundamental Rights of Workers
Please respect workers' rights, including collective bargaining rights and freedom of association, as prescribed in international treaties and in national and regional laws and regulations.
- IV. Assuring a Safe and Healthy Work Environment
Assuring Balance between Work and Private Life
Please endeavor to eliminate extended working hours, and support work patterns that realize balance between work and private life (work-life balance).
Assuring a Safe and Healthy Work Environment
Please maintain a safe and healthy work environment, and make daily efforts for prevention of accidents and occupational injuries.
- V. Treatment of Information
Respect of Intellectual Property
Please do not infringe on intellectual property rights owned by other companies or persons, such as unauthorized copying or illegal use of computer software or programs.
Complete Observation of Information Management
- (1) Please comply with all laws and regulations concerning information security, and implement strict information management.
- (2) Please pay special attention to the handling of personal information, and establish appropriate organizational systems for preventing information leaks.
Please note that we may carry out surveys of your activities, interview you or monitor your activities, ask you for redress, and require you to improve your activities.
* With respect to ship operations, you are asked to comply with the designated requirements of NAV9000, which are the NYK Group's original safety standards that encourage safety and environmental actions.
These guidelines will be revised as needed.