- Disclosing GHG data based on the GHG Protocol
- External Evaluations
- Providing Accurate Information to Environmental Questionnaires and Surveys
Disclosing GHG data based on the GHG Protocol
NYK regularly receives an assurance statement from a third-party certifier confirming that NYK is reporting and disclosing accurate numerical values for greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by NYK Group companies. This data is then used in calculations to confirm that NYK is meeting the framework of Scope 1, 2, and 3 of the GHG Protocol*1, a benchmark that NYK has achieved since 2012. NYK’s certification was the first time in the maritime industry that data collection, calculation, and reporting had been confirmed by a third-party to be in line with Scope 3.
Scope1, 2 & 3 for NYK Group
Scope 1, 2, and 3 of GHG emissions in the NYK Group (FY2017)
- *1 GHG Protocol
- : International standards for accounting and reporting GHG emissions.
- *2 CO2e
- : CO2 equivalent
In fiscal 2017, we received a score of “A-” in the annual evaluation conducted by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP),*3 a U.K.-based non-profit that examines climate change information disclosures. Further, the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices have included the NYK Group for 16 consecutive years, and we have also ranked in the FTSE4Good Index for 16 straight years.
- *3 CDP
- The CDP is an international, not-for-profit organization providing the only global system for companies and cities to measure, disclose, manage, and share vital environmental information. The CDP is driven by more than 827 institutional investors representing in excess of US$100 trillion in assets with the objective of gaining greater visibility into how companies are managing risks and opportunities in response to climate change.
Providing Accurate Information to Environmental Questionnaires and Surveys
In 2017, we responded to 24 environmental surveys and questionnaires from other companies, governmental offices, environmental organizations, the press, and the like.
By providing accurate information to such inquiries, NYK is able to demonstrate its trustworthiness and the sincerity of the company's commitment to the preserving the environment.
- : Manufacturers, research companies, etc.
- : NPOs, incorporated associations, judicial foundations, etc.
- Mass media
- : Newspapers, press, etc.
- Governmental offices
- : Japan's Ministry of Environment; Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism; etc.
- Ranking institutions
- : Worldwide SRI Indexes, such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index