- Ecological aircraft ⁄⁄ Nippon Cargo Airlines Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
- Promotion of modal shift (e.g., in inland container-freight service in Europe)
- Construction of the most efficient transportation and proposal to customer ⁄⁄ Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
- Environmentally Friendly Metal Products Forwarding
⁄⁄ Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
Ecological aircraft ⁄⁄ Nippon Cargo Airlines Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
Nippon Cargo Airlines Co.,Ltd. has taken the lead over other airlines by placing orders for large numbers of the state-of-the-art Boeing 747-8F freighter. In fact, Nippon Cargo Airlines Co.,Ltd.'s first plane went into service in August 2012.
The Boeing 747-8F uses much less fuel, produces less noise, and is thus expected to serve as the flagship of Nippon Cargo Airlines Co.,Ltd..
An illustrated comparison of CO2 emissions by aircraft & comments
The two diagrams are arranged horizontally so that the introduction of ecological aircraft is clearly emphasized.
Colors for the bars showing aircraft in both diagrams are to be adjusted.
Promotion of modal shift (e.g., in inland container-freight service in Europe)
The North Continental Procurement*2 of NYK Group Europe Co. uses a modal shift that switches the inland transportation of containers from trucks to both railways and barges with comparatively low environmental impact, and uses trucks that have low environmental impact.
- In February 2008, we started to operate a special railway terminal in Duisburg, Germany, and thereby improved railway convenience.
- We promote the introduction of an “Eco-truck” that can efficiently transport three 20-foot containers at once.
- When subcontracting trucks, we encourage the use of vehicles that meet the higher European “Euro norm” environmental standards.
We are also working to adopt modal shifts at other locations in the Americas, Asia, Europe, Japan, and elsewhere.
- *2 North Continental Procurement
- a post that handles our inland container transportation in Europe.
Construction of the most efficient transportation and proposal to customer ⁄⁄ Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
Parts used to be supplied to assembly plants from individual parts-makers one by one. Now, however, Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. has built crossing points (cross-docks) and set up a system that dispatches a single truck to collect parts and components from many parts-makers and deliver them together to assembly plants; such a route is often called a milk run*3. This system enables the just-in-time delivery of parts and components to assembly plants, and features the following environmental benefits:
- Greater route efficiency reduces CO2 emissions from trucks.
- Reusable cartons*4; greatly reduce paperboard-box consumption and related waste.
- Shorter lead times and greater truck-loading efficiency conserve supply-chain energy resources.
We provide a detailed service model that matches a customer's business model and helps to reduce environmental burdens.
- *3 A milk run
- A “milk run,” so called because the route resembles a morning milk delivery, means using one truck to collect multiple parts and deliver them to an assembly line.
- *4 Reusable cartons
- Reusable cartons are boxes and baskets made of reinforced plastic and metal that can be used repeatedly.
Environmentally Friendly Metal Products Forwarding
⁄⁄ Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. ⁄⁄
Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. has improved the method of loading metal products in ocean containers and enabled metal products forwarding that uses absolutely no lumber.
Generally, heavy loads such as steel products would be fixed with heat-treated lumber, lashing belts, and band irons to prevent them from collapsing in containers. But Yusen Logistics Co., Ltd. has introduced a new method that uses no lumber at all and instead uses expanded polystyrene (EPS*5) as the fixing material. This enables the following features.
- Improved container load efficiency
- Reduced time needed to load cargo into containers
- *5 EPS
- Expanded Poly-Styrene
EPS is a resource-saving material consisting of 98% air and 2% resin. It permits 100% recycling since its property change is limited